Since my last post I completed two quilts for new humans! Both are from Angela Pingel’s book, “A Quilter’s Mixology.” Not only am I really pleased with the way these quilts turned out, I highly recommend this book. The patterns are really great AND the instructions are clear.
The first is the Nine Patch Curves pattern, for a friend who really likes gender-neutral baby gear. After some thought I landed on red, yellow, orange, and aqua as a color scheme, amongst a low-to-mid-volume grey background. This was based in part on the sock monkey fabric you see below, and in part on the mushroom fabric in the upper right corner of the photo. The same sock monkeys back the quilt of baby’s older brother, so when I stumbled across a re-print, I had to have it. And my friend has a big love for tiny things, so I knew she’d enjoy the wee mushroom houses.
Considering the “help” I was getting from my “design assistant,” aka toddler, I managed to complete the quilt BEFORE the baby arrived. This might be a first for me.
I quilted it very simply, outlining the petal shapes twice–once inside and once out. Even though gender-neutral was the goal, I feel it turned out rather pretty. The baby is a girl, but I’m told big brother appropriated the quilt immediately, “until she grows up.” 😀
Quilt number two is also for a girl baby, but her parents are more traditional in their aesthetic, so I went very girly with it. I chose the Medallion Baby Quilt pattern and selected colors to emphasize the flower shape created by the layout.
Regardless of how you may feel about curved piecing, this quilt comes together pretty quickly, as you have only ONE seam to complete for each block.
I’ve been thinking that it would be cool to make four of these in bolder, grown-up colors, and combine them to create a larger quilt. For, now, I’m super happy with this little beauty even though crappy winter weather here has kept me from delivering it.
To quilt it, I outlined each ring of the medallion, then created three floral templates with copy paper and an old needle, then used my Quilt Pounce to mark them on the fabric surface. I chose hot pink thread. I love the way it looks but it also makes my wobbles stand out. Only one was so bad I had to pick it out and start the motif over, though. 😉
This probably took significantly more time than the piecing, but I’m thrilled with the way it turned out an am confident the family will be, too.
Finally, my 2017 quilting goals should probably get a post of their own, but c’est la vie. I need to get them in writing sooner rather than later so that I have that extra bit of motivation to follow through!
- My biggest goal is to finish one thing every month. It doesn’t have to be big. It can be an old WIP or a new project or something in between. It doesn’t even have to be a quilt. I just want to bring more of my ideas–old and new–to fruition this year.
- Have a quilt included in my guild’s exhibit at the Sister’s Outdoor Quilt Show. I have wanted to attend this show since before I started quilting, and have never made it happen. Now I have an opportunity to have one of my own quilts in the show, which is ridiculously exciting! I just need to meet the deadline!
- Try some improv piecing. I took a class from Sherri Lynn Wood a few years ago, and recently some of her advice/guidance has really been resonating with me, so I felt I should re-visit improv. It should be a good break/challenge for me, as over the last few years I have been focusing mostly on precision and accuracy in my piecing.
That’s it for today! I’ve really been enjoying reading all of your quilty goals. Imagine me raising a glass of something carbonated to say: May we all meet all the goals we choose to! (Because life happens.) 😉
Linking up with TGIFF at the Devoted Quilter, where Leanne is showing off her mad quilting skills. I’ve got a long, loooong way to go before I attempt flowers like that! 😀