A.k.a. the MIL Quilt. Since it was for my mom-in-law, I asked my husband to help brainstorm names. He took one look and said, “Peace In Color.”
A few of you have already seen it, as I shared the finished top last month. (I also posted progress here, and fabric purchase here.) I added some white to the back to lighten things up a bit. Also those Jane Dixon poppies are awesome (you can still get some here), but the white of the background was just too bright to work on the quilt front.
The Laura Gunn “Daylilies” and “Tile Mosaic” fabrics had been lurking in my stash for a few years, waiting for the perfect project. And even though they lean more toward aqua than the “deep teal” my MIL requested, they provided just the right jumping-off point for me in terms of color. This was not a combination I would have been comfortable creating on my own.
Then I set about finding some deep teal fabrics to coordinate, which led me to one of the Moda Bella solids (sorry I can’t remember which one!) and more Laura Gunn (Painter’s Canvas in teal). Several of the reds came from my stash, and more came from various Christmas fabric collections–it seemed when I was shopping that they had the best “true” reds. One of my favorites is this crane print from Kona Bay Fabrics circa 2008:
And my unexpected favorite block came from a random Asian-inspired fat quarter. There was no selvedge, but I’m going to guess it lived in my stash at least as long as the cranes did before finding a home. I love the way the ombre stripes radiate out from the center.
I selected a floral (pansy?) pantograph stitched in aqua thread.
I was too lazy This quilt was too big for me to wrestle it through my machine. 😉
Once the binding was on, I took it downtown to a mini arts park here in Vancouver (the original Vancouver, not the cool one) and photographed it around the shoulders of a statue called Winged Woman. I felt the statue represents some of the qualities I see in my mom-in-law, plus it coordinates with the quilt.
Then I packaged it up and sent it off to my MIL for her birthday. She cried tears of joy when she opened it. That made me happy. Not the tears part. The joy part.Quilt Stats: 70 x 90 inches; from the pattern “Lotus” by Julie Herman/Jaybird Quilts; completed August 2014.
Notes for next time: 1) I’d like to play more with stripes and color placement to emphasize different aspects of this pattern. 2) Consider starching fabrics before cutting–especially the large jewel shapes, as the bias edges can get a bit wavy as you work with them. (I’m probably too lazy to actually do this, but I want to at least remind myself to think about it.) 3) When assembling the rows, start from one side and add one triangle block at a time. On this first go, I chain pieced two blocks at a time, then stitched those to create sections of four blocks, etc. It meant that my last seam for the row was in the middle, combining two long chunks like this:It was a bit awkward to work with long pieces that angled off in different directions, and I think it contributed to the stretching of the bias edges I mentioned above. This would be even more exaggerated with the queen/king size.
I do highly recommend this pattern and the HexNMore rulers it’s based on. The combination of straightforward written instructions and clear illustrations make it super easy to be successful, even if you’re like me and you only read the directions if the pictures don’t make sense. 😉
Linking up to TGIFF, hosted this week by Ms. Midge. Her Metro Twist finish is so pretty!