I was so excited to start doing this! And excited to be doing this once I started! And then life and stuff kept me away. Even from my sewing machine! *Sniffle.*
This month, however, I MUST sew. I am spearheading an effort to make a quilt for one of the managers at work who is retiring at the end of June. We selected the Sugar Snow pattern from “Vintage Quilt Revival” because it’s so pretty and because I felt it would be forgiving if blocks aren’t exactly the anticipated dimensions. We’ve changed up the color scheme, as our manager’s favorite colors are blue and green, but here is the first completed block.
It went together super-fast: under two hours from the first cut. I expect the rest to go even faster since a) I know what I’m doing now, and b) the rest of the blocks are much smaller. I’ve given materials and instructions to two coworkers, and I’m getting together with two more this coming weekend. We hope to crank out the remaining blocks (there really aren’t many–another reason this pattern was a good choice for a collaborative project), then I will stitch everything together next week. Quilting will happen the week after that. The recipient’s last work day will be June 30th. Sounds do-able, right?
Since my last post, I’ve finished these blocks for Soy Amado.
Probably the most exciting thing to happen for me since my last post is that I actually received my very first quilted gift. It is so gorgeous! It came from my sister, Tina. I take credit for getting her hooked on quilting, as I gifted her with my very first completed quilt. I had to wait 15 years, but this beauty is what I got in return!
I got the better end of the bargain, by far, as her skills are far more advanced at this point than mine were “back in the day.” Granted, some of these are bee blocks. She and her bee mates made most of the quilts from Elizabeth Hartman‘s “Modern Patchwork.” But I recognize a lot of the fabrics from Tina’s past projects, and as her big sis I’m pretty familiar with her taste and style, so I suspect that many of these are hers. I do know some of the bee blocks wound up on the back, either because she ended up with too many of that color, or the maker misunderstood Tina’s instructions/preferences. In spite of being “rejects” from the front, I think they are pretty fabulous. I also love that Tina changed the block layout to create the secondary diamond pattern.
I’ll leave you with more shots of some individual blocks, and one more of the whole.